Sunday, May 23, 2010

Discover Happiness

This weekend was an experiment. I was testing the "80/20 Principle" in my personal life.

80/20 Principle also knwon as "Pareto's Law" was introduced by an economist, Vilfredo Pareto. Basic idea is that 80% of the wealth and income was produced and possessed by 20% of the population. This rule also applies outside economics. In our marketing class at NU, Kellogg professor Jakie explained that most businesses, 80% of the profits/revenues are coming from 20% of the loyal/most profitable customers. In corporate world, 80% of the big decisions were made by 20% of the people. Tim Ferris, the author of The 4 Hour Work Week, further extanded the 80/20 rule to personal life - 20% of sources are resulting in 80% of the desired outcomes and happiness; 20% of sources are causing 80% of the problems and unhappiness. So the goal is to focus and maximize the best 20% of sources and cut the problemetic 20% out of my life.

So I re-examined my peronal life, and identified my goals in 6 months. The next thing is to come up a set of decisions and actions which could only help acheive the goals, and cut out every other unnecessary activities and expenses to really maximize my energy and being focused. The experiment started this weekend, and the result was astoundingly pleasant and brought me happiness and a peace of mind I have longed for.

Using 80/20 rule, I identified the things that excite me the most and are truly good for me (Entrepreneurship, Travel, Sports, Good Quality Friends and Solitude.) So I declined all the invites which do not belong to the above 5 categories. I also decided to ease out from some people's lives. No more parties, no more dates, no more drinking, no more fooling around. Instead, I read a book and a blog about entrepreneurship, played tennis with one of my good quality girlfriends who inspires me in many ways, bought a bike (which I am super excited about) and cruised for 2.5 hours around Long Island City and Roosevelt Island, and sit on the deck overseeing Hudson river and manhattan at sunset while writing my blog.

No distraction, no bullshit, no pretentiousness, no game, no nothing. This weekend is productive, adventurous, relaxing, and true. I haven't felt this level of satisfaction for a long time. Knowing where I am heading to and spending time on what truly amazes me bring me real happiness. Finally.